banner academics

Frequently Asked Questions

    1. What is Academic Advising?
      Academic Advising is a partnership between a student and academic adviser. The intent of this partnership is to assist the student in developing and reaching meaningful educational goals based on personal interests, values and abilities.

    2. What should I know about my first semester? As with other changes you make in your life, attending college will require some adjustment and transition. If you are working you now have to juggle a job, classes, homework, family and life in general. Together with your academic adviser, you can explore some strategies for managing your new commitments along with your existing responsibilities.

    3. How do I find out who my Academic Adviser is?
      Sign in to Student Information Systems and select the Student tab, click on Student Records link and select MY ADVISER. You can contact the Advising Center if you have any questions.

    4. What can you expect from an adviser?
      Advising may involve helping you:

      • select an academic program
      • understand NCC processes and procedures
      • select and register for courses
      • add /drop a course
      • change your major
    5.  When do I register for classes?
      Dates for registration are published in the Student Handbook and call also be found in the Advising Center.

    6. What do I need to do to transfer to a four year college?
      Make an appointment to meet with your adviser to discuss transfer opportunities and the steps to take to insure a smooth transition. Look at the website for information on New Hampshire public and some private colleges and universities.

    7. How do I obtain an official copy of my transcript?
      To obtain an official transcript, you must complete an Authorization to Release a Transcript form and submit it to the Registrar's Office (Room 125). The Form can be found in the Registrar's Office or Online.

    8. What does being in good academic standing mean and why is it important?
      Being in good academic standing means that you maintain a high enough cumulative grade point average (CGPA), as defined in the Student Handbook. If your CGPA falls below certain levels, you risk being placed on academic warning, probation or suspension.

    9. What should I do if I think I am in jeopardy of not being in good academic standing?
      If you are not in good academic standing, or you think you may fall below the CGPA to be considered in good standing, please come in and meet with your adviser, who is available to lend support and discuss your options.

    10. How can students earn college credit for information they already know?
      Contact Lisa Yorio at 578-8906 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to learn more about earning credits through CLEP tests.  Click here for more information on the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP).

Learning Commons