Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Financial Aid office is required by federal regulations to periodically review the academic progress of financial aid recipients to ensure that they are making satisfactory academic progress towards the completion of his/her program of study.  Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) for financial aid recipients is measured by both qualitative and quantitative standards and is an assessment of a student's cumulative academic record while in attendance at the College.

Qualitative Standard
Cumulative GPA Component Must have earned the minimum published CGPA at the published intervals.
Quantitative Standard
Completion Rate Component Must complete at least 2/3 (66.666%) of the credits attempted.
Maximum Timeframe Component Financial aid recipients may receive financial aid for up to 150% of the number of credits required for successful program completion.

Coursework Included in SAP

In general, coursework that is taken while in attendance at NCC and applies to the student's academic program is considered when reviewing a student's academic record for satisfactory academic progress.  However, there are some exceptions.  Please refer to the table below for a breakdown of how each type of course or credit is treated in the review. 

Cumulative CGPA Component Completion Rate Component Maximum Timeframe Component
Regular Courses in Program of Study Y Y Y
Repeat Courses Y Y N
Transfer Credits N Y Y
Consortium Credits N Y Y
Developmental/Remedial/ESL Y Y Y
Incompletes Y Y Y
Audit Courses N N N
Credit by Examination N N Y


Qualitative Standard

Cumulative GPA (CGPA) Component

A student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average as noted below to be considered as making satisfactory academic progress.A GPA calculator is available here.

Total Credits Earned Toward Program Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average Required for the Program
Certificate Associate
0-13 1.50 1.50
14-27 2.00 1.70
28-40 1.80
41+ 2.00


Quantitative Standard

Completion Rate Component

A student must successfully complete  two-thirds (66.66%) of the total credits he/she attempts through his/her academic career at the College.  All attempted credits resulting in either an academic grade or administrative transcript notation will be included in the quantitative calculation.  For example, a student who has enrolled in 36 credits throughout his/her academic career at the College must pass more than 24 credits in order to be making satisfactory academic progress.

Maximum Timeframe Component

A student may receive student federal aid for any attempted credits towards his/her program of study as long as those credits do not exceed 150% of the published length of the student's program of study.

For example, a student enrolled in an eligible 24 credit certificate program can receive financial aid for up to 36 credits attempted.  Likewise, a student enrolled in a program of study that requires 64 credits to earn the degree can receive student federal aid for a maximum of 96 credits attempted.

If a student changes curriculum programs or graduates and requests a second degree, a degree audit will be completed and evaluated to determine what portion of the requirements for that curriculum has been satisfied.  Students who seek a dual degree may appeal for an extension of the maximum time frame provision of this policy.  Appeals will be evaluated on an individual, case-by-case basis.

Academic Periods Included in the Review

The qualitative and quantitative components of Satisfactory Academic Progresss (SAP) policy will be used to review the academic progress for all periods of the student's enrollment.  Even periods during which the student did not receive FSA funds will be included in the review.  Additionally, periods for which the student was granted academic amnesty will be included in the review.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Review Process (SAP):
Question Answer
When is my academic progress reviewed? At the end of each semester
Are there Probationary Periods? Yes, referred to as Warning Period
Is there an Appeal Process? Yes
Can you regain Financial Aid eligibility once you lose it? Yes

The qualitative and quantitative components of the SAP policy will be reviewed at the end of each semester within the regular academic year of the student's program of study.  Students who meet SAP standards will be coded as making satisfactory academic progress and will retain eligibility for Student Federal Aid for the following semester.  Students who do not meet SAP standards will be placed on SAP warning for one semester.  Students placed on SAP warning will retain their eligibility for Student Federal Aid for that upcoming semester.

Students Placed on SAP Warning

At the end of the warning period, SAP standards will be reviewed.  If the student meets SAP standards, he/she will once again be coded as making satisfactory academic progress and will retain eligibility for Student Federal Aid for the next semester.  If the student is still unable to meet the standards for SAP, he/she will no longer be eligible to receive FSA funds at the institution until such time that he/she is able to meet the standards of SAP.

Repeat Courses

Financial Aid will cover a repeated course only when it is repeated to replace an unacceptable grade as determined by a specific course and/or major.  Only the most recent grade for a course that has been repeated will count towards a student's CGPA.  Therefore, grades from prior attempts will be excluded from the student's cumulative GPA.  However, all attempts including the most current will be included in the calcuation for the completion rate and maximum timeframe components.

Transfer Credits

Credits that are transferred in from another institution and apply to the most current major will be excluded from the student's cumulative GPA.  However, they will be included in the calculation for the maximum timeframe and completion rate components

Consortium Credits

All courses taken at an institution other than your home institution through an official consortium are included in the calculation for completion rate and maximum timeframe components, but are excluded from the student's cumulative GPA component.

Developmental/Remedial/ESL Courses

Credits from these courses will be included in the calculations for all three components of the satisfactory academic progress review.  A student is eligible for up to 24 credit hours of federal financial aid in this category.


All incompletes must be resolved by the end of the third week of the semester following the receipt of the incomplete grade.  If not, the grade is either automatically changed to an "F" or is considered to be an "F" for all components of the satisfactory academic progress review.  Financial Aid can be withheld until incompletes are resolved.

Audit Courses

Financial Aid does not cover any courses a student audits.  Further, audit courses are not included for any of the calculated components.

Credit by Examination

Financial Aid does not cover courses for which a student earns credit through examination.  Credit by Examination courses count toward the maximum time frame component, but are excluded from the student's cumulative GPA component and completion rate components.

Appeal Process

A student who becomes ineligible for federal student aid as a result of satisfactory academic progress may appeal for a review of that determination.  A student who believes he/she has extenuating circumstances that affected his or her ability to progress satisfactorily should appeal in writing within 15 days of the date of the letter indicating a loss of financial aid eligibility.  The appeal should be addressed to Financial Aid Appeals and be submitted to the Financial Aid Office. A successful appeal may preserve the student's eligibility for federal student aid for the following semester.

Change of Program

A student who changes his/her academic program may request an appeal in that determination if he/she has changed programs while enrolled at his/her current college.  If this appeal is taken up then only those courses applicable to the new program will be evaluated for the Completion Rate and CGPA components.  However, all courses attempted will be evaluated for the Maximum Timeframe component.  If under these circumstances the student is making satisfactory academic progress, the student will regain eligibility for student aid.  If under these circumstances the student is not making satisfactory academic progress, the student will not regain eligibility for student aid at this time.  For further information about the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress policy, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

NCC Housing Connection

Nashua Community College does not provide on campus housing, however we do provide an online bulletin board where we post the following:

  1. Ads from local residents who have apartments/rooms/houses for rent

  2. Ads from current and future NCC students who are looking for roommates

  3. Ads from area apartment complexes

  4. Links to local newspapers to search their classifieds

The housing connection website is for informational purposes only and is intended only to provide contact information. Students are responsible for visiting the property and bear sole responsibility for any agreement they enter into with a landlord. The college is not responsible for the accuracy or comprehensiveness of the site nor does it endorse or get involved in rental negotiations. We make every effort to update this website with new contacts and resources.

 To Access the NCC Housing Connection:
(Please note that you will not be able to access Blackboard using Google Chrome)

  1. Go to the Nashua Community College website:

  2. Click on eServices

  3. Click on Blackboard

  4. Log in to Blackboard using the following information:

Username: housing
Password: connection

  1. Once you are logged in, you will see a screen that says “Courses you are enrolled in.” Housing connection will be listed. Click on that and the Housing Options tab will be on the menu on the left side (it is the fifth option). Once you click on that, you will see the most recent postings for housing options that we have.

If you would like to post anything to the Housing Connection, you must contact Karen Lavoie in the Admissions Office: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 603-578-8900 ext. 1760.

Veterans Assistance

veterans poster_onlineThe goal of the Veteran Student Office at Nashua Community College is to assist veterans, reservists and guardsmen to succeed at NCC. We feel that effective communication is key to that end. Our office is here to assist you to locate the educational resources you need to achieve your goals.

Enrollment verification for properly documented veteran-students is electronically reported to the Veteran Administration after the add-drop period for the college system.

VA funded students should see the Veteran Certifying Official(VCO) of the College before taking any action affecting their enrollment status (such as course drops, adds, or non-passing grades). Failure to do so may result in termination of benefits and/or a debt letter from the VA.

All chapters should contact the VCO before adding a major. Additional information may be required by the VA before we can certify you for a second major. Some chapters do not allow dual enrollment.

Chapters 30, 35, 1606 and 1607 must verify their enrollment with VA- Buffalo each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the VA toll free at
1 (888) 442-4551.

Satisfactory progress toward completion must be maintained. See College Student Handbook for Academic Standing requirements. The Veteran Certifying Official is required to report Academic Probation and Suspension to the VA.

Students must follow the course requirements listed in their curriculum for their stated program as the VCO can only report courses within that program.

Please see the Veteran Certifying Official if you need assistance or have questions. 

Maryanne E. Murray
Veteran Certifying Official

Veteran Student Office- Room 100A
Office Hours: Monday through Thursday  9 am to 2 pm
Closed Fridays

Ph:603.578.8900 X1563
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

VA Information: website:    Phone (888) GI-BILL-1 (888-442-4551)

I want to enroll in a degree or certificate program. Follow these 5 easy steps!


  1. Apply for Admissions

    • Complete the application form, print and sign. Or, complete the online application form.
      (International Students can ONLY apply using the printed application form.)

    • Mail the completed application with the required $20 application fee to:

      Admissions Office

      Nashua Community College

      505 Amherst Street

      Nashua, NH 03063

    • Submit evidence of high school graduation with an official transcript of grades, courses, and standardized testing or bring in your original high school diploma so that our office can photocopy it. (Please note: Scores on the SAT's are not required)

    • Submit evidence of the GED or equivalent

    • Submit an official transcript of grades and courses for all post−secondary institutions attended

    • High school and college transcripts are only considered official when it comes in a sealed envelope directly from the institution. If you pick it up by hand, do not open the envelope.

  2. Schedule an interview with a College Counselor (if required)

  3. Present recommendations from a high school and/or employers (if required)

  4. Participate in Accuplacer Course Placement Assessment (when required).
    Try this Accuplacer Practice Test Online 
    OR Prepare for your Accuplacer Test Here.
    CLICK HERE to sign up for a test.

  5. Apply for Financial Aid

International Students

Applications for admission to the Nashua Community College are reviewed as they are received. The application fee is $20 (U.S.) and International Students must pay an additional $100 (U.S.) International Students admissions fee. International students are required to file their application for admission at least 90 days in advance of the expected entrance date.

Upon satisfactory completion of the steps listed below and the receipt of all required documents, applicants will be notified of an admissions decision within 2 to 3 weeks. Students accepted into the College will receive a letter of acceptance and a request for a nonrefundable advanced tuition deposit of $100.00 (US) and $30.00 (US) Orientation Fee.

Once the tuition deposit is received, the College will forward the student Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility). Form I-20 is required by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service Office (INS) for entry into the US on a student visa. The I-20 should be brought to the Consular Office in the home country to get the F-1 Visa. If the student is already in the U.S., a change of status may be necessary. 

E-mail questions you may have to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , Designated School Official, or via telephone at (603) 578-8900 ext.1547.

Application Materials Required

    1. Complete General Admissions requirement.

    2. Official English translation of all secondary and postsecondary academic records and a credential evaluation of all postsecondary academic records is required.

    3. Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and earn a score of 500 or better, 173 or better on the computer-based test, or earn a score of 61 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL; inquiries regarding the test should be addressed to: TOEFL, Education Testing Service; Box 899; Princeton, NJ 08540. Please visit the TOEFL website  to find out the cost and where the TOEFL test is given in your country. For students currently in the United States seeking a student visa, the College may waive the TOEFL requirement and administer the Accuplacer Placement Test.

    4. Affidavit of Financial Support form may be printed from HERE. The person(s) who will be financially responsible for the student must submit it following all the instructions. The funds must be stated in US dollars, and all supporting documentation must be included.

    5. Copies of current passport and  immigration documents including current visa and Duration of Status (D/S) card.

Dollar amounts promised by the sponsor and available in the sponsor's bank account should be sufficient to cover a minimum of two years expenses (out-of-state tuition, fees, room and board, books, and miscellaneous expenses). Before a Certificate of Eligibility for an F-1 visa (I-20) can be issued, applicants must have submitted all documents required and be accepted into a full-time program (12 credits or more per semester).

The ESOL Program provides a variety of services for non-native speakers of English. To schedule an appointment with Professor Elizabeth Berry to discuss the ESOL courses and multicultural services offered at Nashua Community College, please call (603) 578-8900 ext. 1678 or email Professor Berry at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .


Unfortunately, on-campus housing IS NOT available. However, we have the NCC Housing Connection where we provide a bulletin board in which we post the following: ads from local residents who have apartments/rooms/houses for rent, ads from current and future NCC students who are looking for roommates, ads from area apartment complexes, links to local newspapers to search their classifieds.

For additional information, please contact Karen Lavoie via telephone at (603) 578-8900 ext. 1760 or via e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Tuition and Fees for International Students 2013 - 2014 Academic Year



Tuition (Based on 32 credits)


Lab Fees (estimated)


Student Services Fee


Wellness Center Fee


Orientation (Freshmen Only)


Graduation Fee (Seniors Only)


Books and Supplies (estimated)


*Estimated (actual cost may be more)

Additional information and resources for international students applying to US colleges and universities can be found: